Monday, January 26, 2009

Year of the Ox

Today is the beginning of the Chinese New Year: the year of the ox. Last Friday I spied a basket of Chinese fortune cookies at our Child Development Center and snatched one up, eager to see what the new year foretold for me.

My fortune? "You will share with a friend." Share what? With whom? But I quickly thought of this web page and all I'm sharing with our community and its friends---so here are two more for your interest: the first is an article that appeared last week in the Washington Post, written by an Erie guy who spent his last days in the armed services at Guantanamo Bay and what he came to because of it. A very real story about a very ordinary guy who grew extraordinarily. "I was slow to recognize the stain of Guantanamo."

The second is this beautiful photo of our creek, caught in mid-freeze a week or so ago. Hope you enjoy them both.

Seven-mile creek--half frozen over.

Photo by Charlotte Ann Zalot, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment