Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving gratitude

For over 30 years the Emmaus Soup Kitchen has served the poor and hungry of Erie. Four of our sisters, a number of our oblates, and numerous loyal volunteers work there to provide these meals. A little slideshow of their Thanksgiving Dinner this week is here.

Our own Thanksgiving meal will be attended by sisters, some of their family members, and others that "just get invited along the way." Our tables this year:


Philip's Birthday

I gave,
to a friend that I care for deeply,
something that I loved.
It was only a small

extremely shapely bone
that came from the ear
of a whale.
It hurt a little

to give it away.
The next morning
I went out, as usual,
at sunrise,

and there, in the harbor,
was a swan.
I don't know
what he or she was doing there,

but the beauty of it
was gift.
Do you see what I mean?
You give, and you are given.

Mary Oliver

No comments:

Post a Comment