Monday, January 16, 2012

E is for Egan

I try to always have a novel in process--usually a who-done-it, as I like mysteries and have a half dozen favorite authors. But lately I felt a need to try something else and after seeing Anderson Cooper's interview with three contemporary American novelists I thought I'd try one of theirs. This is what led me to a visit from the goon squad by Jennifer Egan.

What a read! First of all, it's different; not just the story line but even the print layout in one of the chapters. Secondly, it won the 2011 Pulitzer Prize for fiction--WOW! and finally, amazon.com's review includes the phrase, "a story of self-destruction and redemption"--perfect.

So for the last week I've been reading a chapter at a time. Since every chapter is set in a different time period (past, present or future) it's the best way I can keep all the characters and what's going on straight.

Winter is a great time for reading as outdoors time is drastically reduced: see below. Hope you can find some good books, too.


My own personal snow gauge. When I went to bed Friday night this feeder was clear. When I woke up Saturday morning...voila 3-4". And we got another 2-3" Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment