Sunday, May 19, 2019

Airing our differences!

One of our newer members got me smiling last week when she asked, "How are the air conditioning wars here?" I laughed right out loud and answered, "Just like everywhere else, 50-50!"

This weekend our temps spiked into the 80s and since our heating system hasn't been converted yet all 16 chapel windows came open and Sunday Mass was much warmer than usual. As I correctly predicted, 1/2 were thrilled with the "natural warm air" and 1/2 were perspiring and very uncomfortable! Only three majors areas at the Mount are air-conditioned all the time: the chapel, dining room and library. Fortunately all the bedrooms and offices can be individually set, so that makes the "wars" minimal!

Personally I had a change of heart last summer when our a/c system broke down for a week. The "natural air" lovers were just fine, but as I observed the real heat misery for the a/c lovers: perspiring, red-faced and over-heated, I realized that it's much easier for the "naturals" to put on a jacket or sweater than to get relief for the "a/c-ers." Besides, there are so many more important things in life than "fighting this war"!! So, if I'm ever asked that question again, I may laugh, but my answer will be: "There's no 'war' we co-exist happily."


No comments:

Post a Comment