Sunday, November 17, 2019

Chances Are...

Last week I opened an email from our local library announcing to me that a book that I had had on the reserve list for 8 weeks was finally mine to pick up. What joy! This is an author that one of my more literate friends got me hooked on a couple years ago, so when I saw that he had a new book I got on the list. What a great, really great writer. His name is Richard Russo, he is a Pulitzer Prize winner and is, for me, a kind of male Anne Tyler, whom I also love. I like their writing for the same reason: they write about the extraordinary in the ordinary.

This new one by Russo, with an ellipsis in the title, seems set up to be classic Russo. Here's a little from the book flap: "Russo is renowned for his astute, masterful understanding of community...Shot through with his trademark comedy and humanity, his latest bristles with suspense and menace..." A perfect beginning to one of my favorite winter survival techniques: hunkering down with great books!

No comments:

Post a Comment