Monday, August 16, 2021

Big city ways

I had an experience this week that I hadn't had in 25-30 years: I went out to "the beach" on a busy August weekend. What  a rockin' place, as they say. There were people everywhere: on bikes, in boats, in cars, in the water, on foot and coming down water slide after water slide and then climbing up the walkways to try it again. Here are four scenes that I caught from my place: reading and walking around at Perry Monument, at the furthest point on the peninsula.


You can rent kayaks, canoes and individual pontoons and travel throughout the lagoons or the bay. 


The Lady Kate was busy, busy, with long lines waiting for the next trip--every hour on the hour.

 


This shot is taken across the bay to the city side. There were many, many sailboats out, as the warm summer days will be ending soon.


And my favorite new travel experience. A bicycle built for four peddlers...and don't miss the two younger ones in the very front seats. Many of these were along the sidewalks all the way from Waterworks to Perry Monument--a couple miles for sure.

But, the greatest surprise was as we were leaving. I have always wondered why our Waldemeer amusement park added on a huge parking lot, expanding its original one all the way up to W. 6th Street. Well, I found out Sunday--the entire parking lot was full--packed with cars. As was the "overflow" parking lot across the street at the Tom Ridge Environmental Center. I had never seen cars in the expansion area at all, let alone filled to the very edges. Just like amusement parks everywhere I guess--especially on summer weekends. So glad to see Waldemeer doing a good business.

No comments:

Post a Comment