Sunday, February 20, 2022

They're back

 


After many, many weeks have gone by with no sight of our deer population at all, finally, when small areas under the pine trees cleared one day last week, voila, three deer appeared one afternoon and much to my surprise, "settled down" for an hour or so. What a lovely pre-pre-spring sight.

Red Bird Explains Himself

Yes, I was the brilliance floating over the snow
and I was the song in the summer leaves,
but this was only the first trick
I had hold of among my other mythologies,
for I also knew obedience:
bringing sticks to the nest,
food to the young, kisses to my bride.
But don't stop there, stay with me: listen.

If I was the song that entered your heart
then I was the music of your heart,
that you wanted and needed,
and thus wilderness bloomed there,
with all its followers:
gardeners, lovers, people who weep
for the death of rivers.

And this was my true task,
to be the music of the body.
Do you understand? for truly the body needs
a song, a spirit, a soul.
And no less, to make this work,
the soul has need of a body,
and I am both of the earth
and I am of the inexplicable beauty of heaven
where I fly so easily, so welcome, yes,
and this is why I have been sent,
to teach this to your heart.

Mary Oliver




On the other hand, these guys show their best stuff with the snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment