Sunday, April 17, 2022

Book report #524

Here's a book for you to try or at least read the reviews. I do love mysteries, but I am getting impatient to find ones about whose type of murder, type of suspect, type of investigation I haven't already read. Sometimes the story lines are so similar that I spend the first half of the book trying to recall if I've already read it! If it's a 2021 or 2022 book I haven't, but why does it seem so familiar? I guess there are only so many mystery story lines: Colonel Mustard with the candlestick in the billiard room!

Therefore, when I come upon a book that right from the beginning seems fresh, creative and, yes, even a bit quirky, I do gobble it up..unless it takes a turn for the mundane by chapter 3!

Here's one that stayed fresh, creative and quirky throughout its short but adequate 147 pages: A Psalm for the Wild-Built-- a monk and robot book by Becky Chambers. 


It's set in another time and place and follows the latest assignment of Dex, a traveling tea monk of Panga. Along the way he comes upon a robot from the past times, long forgotten and certainly thought equally long extinct. But here he is, asking the robot's most important question: "What do people need?"  And it goes on from there. I got more than half-way through and it did not disappoint--fresh, creative and quirky throughout.


Easter at our house:



No comments:

Post a Comment