Sunday, August 20, 2023

Parish visitor

 


I admit to soft feelings toward Madonna and Child statues/paintings/photos. I especially like all the seemingly eternal representations of the Mary/Jesus pairing. Be it from the Middle Ages or the 21st century, there are all sorts of poses, clothing, colors and ethnicities (which is very nice).

It must be a rather common Christian and even non-Christian spiritual symbol because they are very popular---for example, the United State Postal Service chooses a different Madonna every year as one of its special Christmas stamps.

On vacation again at the Jersey shore we are trying a new church that we found in a neighboring shore town last year when we decided that we just couldn't continue with the Mass at the nearby parish. I take full responsibility that I am spoiled from all of our monastic liturgies--Mass, LOH, etc. I have totally forgotten what it's like to be a parishioner. 

At this new church, St. Paul's, I noticed this Madonna and it has a look that caught my eye. It's quite lovely in person. I like the way her mantle drapes around her.

Of course, I will unabashedly name drop and admit that my most favorite of all the 100s I've seen is the actual "Pieta" in Rome. I could have just stood there forever...

No comments:

Post a Comment