Sunday, January 14, 2024

How to get through snowstorms


The two snowstorms that filled the news programs and, of course, the Weather Channel, over the past 3-4 days really missed us. The 1-3" of snow that was predicted each morning and evening, didn't materialize. But we did get the cold. Cold for us, that is: 10-15 degrees. 

If your winter months consist of snow or cold you have to find ways to "survive," short of going south for a couple months! My way is primarily to hunker down here at the Mount and surround myself with things I really like. Books I can't wait to read, good movies on TV/streaming services, games on my phone, and just hanging around with friends. But, here is one that is, I suppose, a little odd: I love being in my room, which is kind of like a private den!  You see, my windows look out on the east lawns and woods of our place. You never know what you'll see--deer along the tree line and always birds at our bird feeders for sure. But indoors these two beautiful orchids are both in bloom right now. I could just look at them for hours!

This weekend brought a lovely event, the Memory Service and funeral for one of our 90+ aged sisters who was one of the proverbial "institutions" of St. Mary's Parish and St. Benedict's Academy. Her parents were in the same neighborhood as my grandparents and the families knew each other in the schools and parish. I heard about the Eichenlaubs growing up and so enjoyed the fact that Sr. Mary Louis, in her declining years, would often call me Rita or Pat, my two aunts that she grew up with. So sweet.


No comments:

Post a Comment