Monday, September 17, 2012

What a weekend!

We had one of our glorious weekends of events these last two days: Jubilee on Saturday and a continuation Sunday for liturgy and the dedication of the Poetry Park, an extension of one of our ministries on E. 22nd Street in Erie. Fortunately, Erie gave us a warm late summer/early fall weekend with plenty of sun. See our community website for the prioress's reflections and more.

In between events I continue along in my Anne Tyler stage--reading everything of hers that I can get my hands on. What a first-class novelist, especially with dialogue and interesting characters. Her Breathing Lessons won the Pulitzer Prize for Literature in the mid-80s, but I've liked everything of hers that I've read. I always end one with the same question, Where did she come up with these characters and this story? I wonder if she dreams them up, thinks of them after experiencing something particular or just fashions them from some people or situation she imagines. They are really something!



Here's the latest in our wildlife menagerie--two wild turkeys and their 7 offspring. We caught them on the front lawn one early morning, but they are making backyard appearances, too, usually preceded by, "What are those things in the backyard?"

Attention all you Trekkies: Google Doodles had a clever one on September 8th, the 46th anniversary of Star Trek's first TV show. Be sure to move your cursor around as there is a whole series of scenes, each with action and Star Trek's iconic music.

"Live long and prosper."

No comments:

Post a Comment