Monday, December 16, 2013

A foot or more

The Winter Wood Arrives

I think
I could have
built a house
to live in

with the single cord--
half seasoned, half not--
trucked into the
driveway and

tumbled down. But, instead,
friends came
and together we stacked it
for the long, cold days

that are--
maybe the only sure thing in the world--
coming soon.
How to keep warm

is always a problem,
isn't it?
Of course, there's love.
And there's prayer.

I don't belittle them,
and they have warmed me,
but differently,
from the heart outwards.

Imagine what swirls of frost will cling
to the windows, what white lawns
I will look out on

as I rise from morning prayers,
as I remember love, that leaves yet never leaves,
as I go out into the yard
and bring the wood in

with struggling steps,
with struggling thoughts,
bundle by bundle,
to be burned.

Mary Oliver

Our memory garden--St. Scholastica and the gazebo

The little umbrella-like tree under the bell tower

Beautiful all year round.

How much snow have we had since Friday here in Harborcreek, PA right along the Lake Erie shore? My guess would be 12-15".

No comments:

Post a Comment