Monday, December 2, 2013

Weekend shorts

Thanksgiving, snow, Advent, snow and snow

We had a very nice crowd for Thanksgiving dinner, about 80 I'd say. The dinner was delicious: salad and rolls, turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, corn, cranberry sauce and pumpkin, apple crumb or mince meat pie. Yummy!

We had snow and snow and more snow: according to our newspaper 12 inches in these last days of November which brought the month's total to 15". Of course not having school helped, but not many flights from Erie were delayed and the shopper's were not at all deterred for the weekend!


My shopping so far has been online, with free shipping. For the last 4-5 years I've helped with the huge Children's Christmas Gift project of Emmaus Ministries. This year I have 100 children. Each child gets one gift, as designated by their parent. Most asked for jeans or sneakers, but the little 3T and 4T outfits are my favorite, though the glow in the dark and multi-colored sneakers are great fun to pick out, too. After I ordered all the clothes I had money left over for a "family" gift. The families with older children got a game (Yahtzee, Uno, Count Four). The ones with younger kids got these: children-sized throws with a stuffed animal--just darling. I wish I could have bought 50.


And as happens most Thanksgiving weekends, Advent began, too. See our community site for some special Advent pieces. The first Saturday night vigil and first Sunday liturgy were just great. Everyone's favorite liturgical season--Advent.

No comments:

Post a Comment