Thursday, November 3, 2016

What makes me howl with laughter

Two things I ran across this week that not only made me smile and laugh all over the place when I first saw them, but have continued, just on memory, to make me laugh and smile about them ever since. That's enough to encourage me want to share them with you. Here they are:

First: check out the website: iwaited96years.com On August 18, 1920 women in the United States were given the right to vote. This week thousands of women born before that date are proudly casting their ballots for the candidate they hope will become our first woman president! Here are their photos and a little blurb about each one. Should I enter our pre-1920 woman to the list?!?!


Second, as you may know from previous entries here and on our community website, we have a member of the BWSC, Benedictine Women's Service Corps, living and working with us this year. The other two members for the 2016-2017 class are at a monastery in Bristow, VA (about 30 miles west of DC). All of them blog monthly on the St. Benedict's Monastery (Minnesota) site. This week I read an entry from Mo (one of the Bristow volunteers) and here is the part that sent by into gales of delight: "Every Sunday night after supper, I play Rummy with Sister Mary Ellen, Sister Henry Marie and Bethany. I always end up losing, but it feels good to be in the midst of great company! Although I enjoy the company of the sisters, I feel myself turning into a middle-aged woman. Never in a million years would I think that I would find solace in knitting and watching “Jeopardy!” And never in a million years did I think that I would get excited about buying yarn."

I must try to adopt some 20-something interests/conversation topics so that our Erin doesn't "age" before her time!

No comments:

Post a Comment