Wednesday, January 25, 2017

I knelt in the dark

Eleven years this month. That's how long I worked every morning, Monday through Friday, with our Sister Maureen. And in that time I came to know her and truly appreciate and care for her. If I HAD to name just one characteristic that rose to the top for me, I guess it would be constancy--faithfulness--presence. She was a lovely woman, who died too quickly. Now we are headed into a three-day celebration of that wonderful life and what it brought to ours. If you haven't read about her yet, you can do so here. She will be greatly missed.

Mary Oliver's dog, Percy, helped her get through the death of a dear friend.

Percy (Four)

I went to church.
I walked on the beach
I played with Percy.

I answered the phone
I paid the bills.
I did the laundry.

I spoke her name
a hundred times.

I knelt in the dark
and said some holy words.

I went downstairs,
I watered the flowers,
I fed Percy.



No comments:

Post a Comment