Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Our favorites

 


Today I am showing this photo, my first good "catch" of the chapel south windows. It was taken about 12-15 years ago now, but at exactly this time of year--the first week of December. It was on a Saturday morning, about 10:00 a.m. I was in the dining room vacuuming the carpet, when a friend ran in and said, "Come, you have to see the chapel windows!" So I did and then ran for my camera and this was the result.

After that I kinda' got hooked on them, as many of us are. I took each window individually, took each one with its reflection on the adjacent wall and even took a number of shots of the floor.

A couple of times I got very lucky and caught some of the colors going through a glass or plastic piece in the environment in the center of the chapel. Once I got some through the plastic stands for the handbells and, of course, there's the "famous" Sunday morning photo that two or three of us took--through the Charlie Brown Christmas tree the year the light went right through its branches onto the wall behind it.

But there is one shot that I don't have, though I've tried: the sunlight through the north windows. It's very hard to catch as it has to be at sunset, with strong, bright sun and at just the right angle, which honestly, I don't know the best time of year for all of those conditions to occur. But I almost got it, at least I got a pale version of it, a couple of times. Someday, maybe.

P.S. I love to see visitors trying to take photos of them. Sometimes, if they don't seem to mind, I'll go in and suggest they stand in this spot or that spot and get a certain shot. It's very nice to share them, as everyone is just as taken with them as we are.

P.P.S. Another "window memory": whenever we have a professional photographer here, especially for the first time, we'll show him/her around, making suggestions on possible places for pictures that they could use with their article or interview. No matter how many place we suggest, at the end of the tour they are sure to say, "Could we go back to the chapel, I think that's where I want to set up a shot." 

The windows, of course, the windows!

No comments:

Post a Comment