Wednesday, March 10, 2021

A groupie

I am an unabashedly, crazy groupie of Barbara Brown Taylor! I have actually been to hear her--twice, and would travel a couple hundreds miles to hear her, anytime, any place. I suspect many of you are the same.

I am reading one of her books I hadn't read yet, the 2014 book, Learning to Walk in the Dark.

Of course, I'm only on the Introduction, as I read it super slowly because I don't want to ever get to the end...really. Here's my favorite line, some of my favorite lines, from her introduction:

"Step 1 of learning to walk in the dark is to give up running the show. Next you sign a waiver that allows you to bump into some things that may frighten you at first. Finally you ask darkness to teach you what you need to know....There is some good news you can use: even when light fades and darkness falls--as it does every single day in every single life--God does not turn the world over to some other deity. Even when you cannot see where you are going and no one answers when you call, this is not sufficient proof that you are alone...Here is the testimony of faith: darkness is not dark to God; the night is as bright as day."


 P.S.  The last one I read of hers was: Always a Guest.  It was a collection of about 40 homilies she gave in various venues, churches, gathering--in the last 15 years or so--including two from our summer Chautauqua Institution events. Marvelous, just marvelous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment