Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Getting picky about books

I'm going through a "picky" stage regarding what I read. I only want to read very, very good writers' works.

To that end I just read my first book by the celebrated, internationally acclaimed Brazilian author, Paulo Coelho. I didn't start with his most popular and award-winning book, The Alchemist, but instead a more humble one, The Devil and Miss Prym. A stranger arrives in a small, out of the way village and entices the villagers to choose between good and evil. Young, lovely Miss Prym is his main adversary. It was a great read. Now I will have a go at The Alchemist.

But first, it's Elizabeth Strout's new one, Olive, Again a followup to her very interesting and well-received Olive Kitteridge,--a curmudgeon of a retired school teacher who speaks her mind way too much, yet who somehow effects the lives of her ordinary acquaintances in a special and life-changing ways.

This is one of my survival techniques for the months of January and February!


1 comment:

  1. I have never read either of those books. I will have to check them out online and maybe I will be restructuring my choices :) I always had to read what was handy most of my life due to finances. Maybe it's never to late to teach an old dog new tricks. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete