Sunday, January 26, 2020

Now we are seven

Here's the back story before I give you the conclusion.

About 7-8 years ago we had a group of Methodist ministers here for a weekend of planning sessions. In fact, we've had them back nearly every year since--what a great group of men and women, all leaders at their respective Methodist congregations here in Western Pennsylvania. Anyway, that very first visit left us with two unforgettable stories. The first was when one of the guys exclaimed after going through our cafeteria line two or three times, "Your salad bar is terrific, even better than Hoss's!" This went over many of our heads, including mine, until we found out what a high compliment it was, since Hoss's Restaurants pride themselves in offering the best salad bar ever!

The second never-to-be-forgotten comment was about peanut butter. One minister aka peanut butter aficionado told us, "Sisters, we've got to get you some different peanut butter. I'm going to send you some when I get home." I'm a peanut butter lover, too, so I knew he was speaking some truth. At that time our peanut butter consisted of a very large tub of no-name, generic stuff. Not overly creamy, but certainly passable as we were all eating it! But our new food service director heard about it and agreed that we could improve, although she'd have to look into what else our distributor could offer.

Flash forward to the present and thanks to this first concern, along with the presence of 3-4 vegetarian new members and the dedication of our food service director to find what she could, and Voila! our peanut butter is now a matter of choice!

Left to right: Peter Pan creamy; Peanut Butter and Co.The BEES Knees (simple, honest ingredients); Smucker's NATURAL peanut butter; Natural JIF almond butter spread and JIF creamy on top of 4 lbs of JIF creamy; Santa Cruz Organic NO STIR dark roasted peanut butter; and Smucker's GOOBER:stabilized peanut butter, strawberry grape and honey jelly.

And, in an effort of full disclosure, I read the ingredients of each one and by far they have much more in common in calories, ingredients and percentages than they have differences. So take your pick, we've got something you'll love. When are those Methodist leaders coming back?!




New blog URL: ltsgw.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog from the Benedictine Sisters of Erie. I can relate to your peanut butter story. (I never did eat peanut butter in all the times I ate there while visiting my aunt.) I love Peter Pan peanut butter. I have tried most of the brand names that have been on the market. Recently my niece sent me some from an Amish store in Lancaster. It's amazing, but not exactly diet friendly. I just wanted to say that I enjoyed your blog and will probably be reading more of them. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete