Wednesday, May 12, 2021

 


As Pennsylvania continues to open up as the pandemic decreases in our area, the delight of going out for a meal has returned. This week I was able to visit a local restaurant that I had only been to one other time. It was really enjoyable and even with obeying all regulations was a relaxing and fun experience. Here is my pineapple chicken entrée.

Spring continues to unfold in Erie as we entered the pink/red phase this past week: azaleas, bleeding hearts, tulips, rhododendrons are leading the way--oh I almost forgot: ruby-throated hummingbirds and Baltimore orioles are passing through also.

Which leads to one of my all-time great teaching Geometry stories. Here it is in outline form:

1) teaching rhombus and rhomboid shapes;

2) including other words that start with the unusual "rh" beginning;

3) kids coming up with rhesus monkey, rhubarb, rhythm, rhododendrons, Rh factor, rheumatism and after a long pause, "Wasn't there an old time car, my grandfather talked about it, a Rhudabaker?" Which sent me into gales of laughter...which kids love to see happen to their teachers! Not that I remember Studabakers personally--but the visual of rutabaga going down the street just killed me! 

1 comment:

  1. A fun read. Thanks. Yes, i do remember the Rhudabaker.

    ReplyDelete