Sunday, May 9, 2021

Two Mother's Day remembrances


                       The azaleas popped out this week--not for Pentecost, but for Mother's Day.

One of my friends has a tribute to her mother every year. She wears a string of pearls that were her mother's. It must be quite the length as it has three layers when it's around her neck! And it doesn't matter what she has on, today it was just a pair of black pants and a nice top--no formal wear or out for a night dancing--just her every day Sunday outfit, with a remembrance of her Mom.

I, too, have a remembrance of my Mom, but it's with me every day. When my mother died I was going through her things and I found a simple gold ring in her jewelry box. I didn't remember ever seeing it before. Being a jeweler's daughter I knew to look for an inscription and sure enough, with the help of  some magnification, there were my grandparents' initials and a date in 1916--their wedding day. As if it was meant to be, it fit me perfectly and ever since I have worn it--to be one with my mother and with her mother--with a ring over 100 years old.

2 comments:

  1. I don't remember hearing about your ring, Sue! So special...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely remembrances. I don't know why I've never thought of wearing my mother's Pearl's on Mother's Day, but I'll start now.

    ReplyDelete