Sunday, October 15, 2023

Three memories from the week

 

So how was your week? If someone asked me that I could easily brush it off by saying, "Oh it was fine, normal, same old, same old." And I admit I often do that. But in reality I could share some not so same old, same old experiences, that make a week different from every other one. So here are three such for this past one.
1) We took a walk Sunday on the path that goes along the ridge of the Bayfront highway for a mile or so and overlooks Presque Isle Bay. It was its usual wonderful place, beautiful now in a kind of early autumn way. The experience worth sharing is seen in this photo: a homeless person has set up their evening place, I believe, complete with bedding and a shopping cart of goods. The place is the large gazebo that is in the west Bayfront Park, the gazebo used for picnics and gatherings for summer family outings.
2) Last Thursday we held another Take Back the Site prayer vigil at the site of a murder in late August. This one was a double murder and suicide event. November will mark 24 years of these, with about 160 public prayer vigils being held. Each one is still as haunting, sad and sobering as they all have been.
3) On Friday, I visited our local community blood bank and was able to donate a pint of blood for the first time in 5 years. (Lumpectomy time-off). Since I began giving blood in the early 1970s I regaled my young phlebotomist with some of the most memorable experiences at the various blood bank sites where I had been. (The best being when the blood spurted out all over a white sweater I was wearing and the staff sprang into action with a cold water treatment that got all the redness out within minutes!) She listened kindly and seemd interested (or faked it well), laughed when it was appropriate and it at least passed the time for the procedure for both of us. I always feel like I'm directly helping someone in need when I donate. The clever T-shirt they offer after 4-5 donations, doesn't hurt either!
So, how was your week?!

No comments:

Post a Comment